Old 07-23-2010, 01:39 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I didn't get any notification. Yes, someone hijacked my e-mails.....NO, I do not believe it came from this forum!!!! My SiL used my computer last month....SHE had it in her e-mail address. All of a sudden everyone in her address list started getting e-mails that are bogus (this one says I'm in England or somewhere and I have my passport, but I'm out of money, please send money). VERY frustrating!!! Sad part, I didn't have my e-mail contacts written down anywhere....and I may have lost contact with friends now!!!!!

SO -- BIG hints:

1) make sure your virus protection is on (however, virus protection wouldn't have helped this one.

2) write down all your e-mail contacts e-mail addresses

3) Let all your friends know to NEVER respond to an e-mail that says what that scammer said in this letter.
Hi Dee, another board user had this exact same thing a while back - I was in her email address book and got the email saying she was in London and to send money - I know her well enough to know that it was not true so didn't click on anything and have had no trouble but I know that she had a lot of trouble afterwards sorting out her email account. I'll go and PM her and ask her to read this thread. Maybe she can help with the benefit of her experience. :-D