Old 07-23-2010, 08:28 AM
mary quite contrary

Originally Posted by Carsey
Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
I finished Elle's today.

Hopefully the texture shows. I made rows of tucks with ribbons inside then stitched it down and flipped it around and stitched it the other way.

Maybe not the best picture And the edges really are straight they just aren't laying straight in the picture.
How did you do this technique??? I LOVE IT!!!! You are sooo talented!!
To do the rows of tucks I took the width of the border I was making and doubled it. For this I used 3 different fabrics and I did each fabric by itself then sewed it all together.

I believe my tucks were each 1 inch deep although you could do them however deep you wanted them. I measured in from one of the long sides 1 1/4 inch and pressed it the full length to the right side. From the fold I measured 1 inch and pressed it to the wrong side. I measured down from that fold 2 inches and pressed it to the right side. Measure 1 inch from that fold and press to the wrong side. Going back and forth until you have folded your whole fabric. For mine I had 3 tucks for each fabric. You should have 1/4 inch past the last fold to allow for seam allowance.

I added the ribbon down the middle of each tuck. The ribbon should be laying flat but it does need to be pretty on both sides of the ribbon because when you sew it you will see the backside of it.

With everything laying nice and flat (I used my big irnoning board) mark at regular intervals where you want to stitch. I went through and stitched every other one with it laying flat. Then you go back and stitch the every other one that is left going the opposite way which will make it stand up.

Again, if you would like me to do a picture tute I would be glad to do that.

Thanks,
Mary