Old 07-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Bluphrog

FWs are cute, light, and sew well. They are easy to maintain and if you need to replace a part, it's not difficult to do and original and reproduction parts are readily available. There is also a certain cachet in owning one.

I have 3 -- a 1960-something white (named Blanche), a 1939 black with a scroll faceplate (named Spike) and a 1951 Centennial model (which I haven't named yet). I use Blanche almost exclusively, but the other two sew just as well. I take her with me when I go to a sewing meeting or class, unless I will need a machine where I can drop the feed dogs. If I'm going to a several day retreat, I usually take one of my Berninas, but I take Blance as my back-up machine, since she is light and doesn't take up too much space.

I don't know where you're located, but if you ever have a chance to hear Nova Lynn Montgomery, she has a great presentation on the FWs and does a workshop on maintenance and cleaning your FW. She lives in Huntsville, TX, and has spoken to several of the guilds in our area.