Old 07-23-2010, 04:09 PM
nursie76

Originally Posted by PuffinGin
As I say in my profile, I'm a dabbler at quilting, very inexperienced and taking things slowly. I have a lot of hobbies I enjoy so don't spend a lot of time on any. I only decided to try quilting after I retired and did/do not want to make it like work. In my professional life, I worked on many long-term projects (3-5 or 6 years in length) and was often ready for something new before that time. So even though I've been sewing quilt blocks and even finishing some small projects, I've never done a full-sized quilt and only do diagonal quilting or stitch in the ditch. Want to learn fm quilting but probably not intricate quilting designs which really makes quilts wonderful. I have perfectionist tendencies (but what I do definitely isn't). I'm wondering how many of you started quilting with the idea of going as far as fast as you can and how many of you are taking your time, say mastering piecing techniques or applique before getting into the more detailed quilting aspects .
I think I came into quilting with the idea that since I had been sewing since about age 9 or 10, the I just had to read the books and cognitively understand the techniques and I would be set! But, despite grasping the words and concepts, I found that my hands and coordination needed more time. I have been going at it slowly now and am enjoying the ride. I just wish my cognitive grasp of FMQ would translate to my hands going in the right direction! :roll: