Old 07-23-2010, 06:50 PM
skydiver70

This is therapy to me and I thank each one of you for being so friendly to a newcomer who hasn't done anything in so long since Mama passed that I thought I was through.

My mother and my grandmother quilted all their life nearly. My grandmother quilted so many quilts and pieced several for me while she was in a nursing home the last 10 years of her life. I took care of her and she would always ask me to bring her some quilt pieces. Her stitches were so tiny (mine you would probably get your toe hung in unless I used a machine. Ha!) She live two months past her 100th birthday and pieced quilts up until two weeks before her death. Quite a lady!

Mama quilted almost all her life. She used an old quilting frame that hung from the ceiling. Dad passed away in 1973 and Mama quilted to help make ends meet for years after he passed away. She had never worked outside the home, but by word of mouth she took in all the quilts she had time to do. They were beautiful. I have her most prized quilt--she called it: Umbrella Girl--it is beautiful.

Happy quilting everyone!