View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 07:32 PM
aorlflood

Originally Posted by jljack
You ladies are an inspiration!! My DH and I lost our business last September. While we were not "well off", we could go out to dinner and buy what we wanted...we are not extravagant people. When the business went, so did the income, except for my job. We had all the business debts left, too. Were able to sell off some of the vehicles, but 1 was repossessed, and we still have one we are paying for that we can't sell. Anyway, he was unemployed totally for slightly over 4 months, and now working for less than half his previous salary. We have learned to do without a lot of stuff, turned down the A/C thermostat, use a window a/c in the bedroom at night instead of cooling the whole house, buy food through Angel Food Ministries, cut down on "errands" trips around town. Lots of little things, but it all adds up. We have had to borrow money from family to make mortgage payments, but that ends this month...I am caught up with all the bills and have a budget that we can live with. It's hard when you are used to living a way, but if you work at it, you can figure out a better way!
THe best of luck to you and your family, Janice! I'm glad you have come through this hard time and can finally see the light of day.

This economy can be scary. Our son and his family are just now starting to get their heads above water again after being unemployed/underemployed for too long!

Even though we are debt-free, we still are VERY frugal and still do all the money-saving things we did while we were getting out of debt. We found that we don't need to spend money to enjoy our lives!