View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 07:55 PM
AbbyQuilts

Originally Posted by katmom54
I guess I am confused...I have seen a lot of discussion on this topic, and I wonder if there is just too much misunderstanding...so please educate me. ...
Crafters, quilters, woodworkers, home designers, etc have all sold products made from other people's patterns - not once I have I seen credit given to anyone. I always understood that a pattern that is published and sold is then to be public and the crafter can use it as they wish. If a designer makes a product, and someone copies it without permission, then there is a problem. So, for example if I made 30 twisted bargello quilts and sold them at a fair, there should be no problem since I came by the pattern legitimately when I bought the book - I am not taking any special credit for the design, just the workmanship...but if I go to the quilt show, take a picture of a quilt and then make one to show myself - that is an infringement...
Is it getting more complicated than that?
Nope you pretty much have it

Also if a pattern maker does not want to make the pattern but wants to restrict who sells it then they need to licence the pattern instead of sell it (think of it like mc D's franchising)