Thread: Cutting trick?
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 09:08 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nana2
Originally Posted by Halo
When I have to make lots of blocks, little or not so little, I make strips first. Stack the strips & then finish cutting the blocks. For a 2" block you would cut 2" strips, stack three or four strips & cut the strips into 2" squares. That way you can cut 4 blocks at a time & it goes fast.
It is also helpful to have one of those large blade rotary cutters which will cut thru several layers of fabric. Stack three different fabrics (45" folded in half makes 6 layers of fabric) cut the strips the width you need for the squares. Disturbing this stack as little as possible, now cut the same measurment as the strip width -- you now have 6 squares, one cut. Another thing which I have learned, is to be VERY consistent in the placement of the ruler. Watch to see if you are laying the measurment line exactly on top of the cut edge of the fabric or if you have just snugged that line up to the cut edge. This is only a thread difference, but does make just a tad difference. Also using the same ruler seems to make a difference. Also notice how the ruler is lining up on the long edge of the strip. Hope this helps.
What she said about lining up the rulers - IMPORTANT AND HELPUL!

Also - check your old(er) well-used rulers to make sure that they still have a straight edge. I was so puzzled when I moved the ruler and I had a bow/curve on the cut edge when I knew I hadn't moved the fabric.

I just tossed three Quilter's Rule rulers (they were big ones, too) in the trash because they are no longer accurate. (By the way, that really did cause me pain to do so. But the curved cuts hurts more)