View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 02:23 PM
catrancher

Originally Posted by pgthom
I laughed at your post. I do know how to iron shirts, tho' don't do it too often anymore. I remember many mornings before school, pressing something I wanted to wear that day.

And cutting up chickens?? When I went to summer camp many moons ago, the counselor wanted us to cook chicken but didn't know what to do with a whole one, so I got to cut it up! Used to make the whole chicken dance on the cutting board and make my kids laugh.

We are losing a lot of our cultural history as the generations die off. I learned so much from my g'mothers and great g'mother. I try to pass on some of these gems to my grands so they will remember "what grandma taught me" when I'm gone.
I am glad that I thanked my mother once for teaching me those two things. She got kind of a quizzical look on her face when I did. She always saw the best in people and was hysterically gullible. I don't think it ever occurred to her that people didn't iron shirts or cut up whole chickens any more. She died about five years after that.