Old 07-24-2010, 02:50 PM
Katia

I have found a few sewing machines this weekend myself. There is a new thrift store down the road from me. I stopped in and told her to call me if any older sewing machines came in. And she did ! She called and said she had a very heavy little black sewing machine called a Commander, and that she had to have 15.00 for it. Hmmm, quick google search and I was on my way to pick her up. She is kinda plain, no super fancy decals. The Commander decal is wearing off in the front, but in good shape in the back. The paint is great, just a little dusty. The wires need to be replaced, they are kinda frayed. But she turns over very smoothly and the needle moves easily.

The second machine is the cutest Kenmore, in a green color, kind of Jetson-y looking. A model 158-16020. From what I can tell there is an identical model 158 that has a cam feature. Mine does not. The case is plastic and kinda grundgy, but the machine is pristine. I am hoping to try her out this afternoon. I think she was made in the 50's sometime.

The last machine is not an old one, but I think a good deal. I have been looking for a good machine for a co- worker of my husband. She needs a good beginner machine. I found a brand new Euro-Pro for only ten bucks. I think she will be thrilled. Not something I really need, but to be able to pass it on is fun. I will check it out and make sure it is sewing correctly before she gets it. It looks new and the accessories are still sealed in the bag, so it should be fine, but just to make sure. Nothing more frustrating then a machine that does not sew correctly. Especially for a new sewer.