Old 07-25-2010, 02:28 AM
Lacelady
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
Lesley, Your DJ is beautiful - AND finished!!! I am jealous. I started mine in 1997 and am still working on it. I haven't always been working on it. Brought it out a couple of weeks ago and it's not going back - I'm going to finish it this time. I have about 140 or so of the blocks done , none of the border triangles. All the remaining blocks are cut out as I cut everything out back in 1997. Put each block in it's own sandwich baggie. The guys in the program marvel at the size of the blocks.

The program is in a state prison and I have 200+ men who get paid to make 40" square quilts - perfect laprobe size. We have donated over 8000 quilts since the program began 8 1/2 years ago. I've been running it for nearly 8 years. Everything is done by hand except attaching the binding for the first step. They are allowed to use rotary cutters and scissors, but the tools all live in a locked and very secure cabinet when I'm not there. They can't get to them. This is the reason for my screen name.

Again, your Dear Jane is awesome!!!

Kathy
Hats off to you Kathy for all the work you are doing with those men. I believe there is a similar programme in London, but with a much smaller group. One of their quilts was on display recently in the Victoria and Albert museum. But 8000 in 8 years is a great result. Have you posted any threads on what you (and they) do? If so, I have missed them and would love to know more.