View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 09:25 PM
akrogirl

Originally Posted by katmom54
Originally Posted by galvestonangel
If simeone writes a song, you can't sing it for money without permisson Also If you buy plans from and architect, you can only use them on one house without paying him again. So IO could understnd why you could not sell a copyright pattern and sell it.
Actually, local bands do it all the time...Are they truly expecting that college kids pay for those rights. or have to get permission from the Rolling Stones? NO....but if they want the real music, they have to purchase the sheet music ...I was Pres of a youth orchestra...we had to buy sheet music for each child - no photocopying and sharing. But once we bought the music, we could play it however, wherever, and charge whatever we wanted. And we did not have to pay each time we played. And we could use the music year after year once we bought it.
I still think it all relates to intent.

I wonder...do all those Idol performers get the songwriter's permission?
In the case of Idol, yes, they do. There have been numerous instances over the years of competitors not being able to sing their first, or even second, choice songs because the songwriters would not give permission.