Old 07-26-2010, 04:49 AM
PiecesinMn

I need to feel the fabric. It varies especially at places like Joann's. Most of the fabric I have purchased there as been fine, but not all. I purchased 6 yards for a quilt back and didn't notice until I was piecing the back that the printing on the material wasn't the same intensity all the way through the 6 yards. I pieced and used it anyway, but you can see the difference right down the center. It's like buying yarn that is the same dye and lot number at different times and they don't quite match. This however was the same bolt and one continuous cut. I have never bought fabric from Joanns on line (I really don't buy much on line because I need to feel the fabric) so don't know how that it. I would be confident from buying on line a known quality fabric like (Moda, etc). I feel most quilt shops you can also buy with confidence. They are going to be the higher quality fabric and of course charging more, but they live and die by offering that quality and standing by the fabric they are selling if you do have a problem.

My question, what is a good thread count for quilting? I don't know, but that's why there is the price/quality difference.
Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Hi Everyone,

I would appreciate some feedback from any of you that have purchased any of Joann's Keepsake Calico fabrics. How is the quality compared to calicoes found elsewhere? Are they fine, or should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks in advance,

ETA: I see some of them are made in China, some in South Korea, and some don't say at all. Does anyone know what difference these locations might mean to the quality?