Thread: UltraQuilter
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 05:10 AM
BKrenning

Originally Posted by klutzyquilter
Originally Posted by BKrenning
It looks like a very nicely finished home made machine quilting frame. I didn't quite understand the part about a cutting table unless they are talking about taking the cross arms that hold the poles off and using it as a cutting table but then wouldn't the carriage tracks be in the way?

It is a very basic, simple machine quilting frame with a collapsible set of legs under it for easy storage. They do mention that it comes in 2 sizes--6' and 8' and at the 8' size you'd be able to do a little larger than full size quilts but not queen unless you quilted the borders after removing it from the frame.

It really is very similar to the original Handiquilter frame and reminds me of a sturdier version of the Grace Sturdy Lite and Little Gracie frames.

I didn't find a price listed for it so can't say how it compares price-wise to a starter frame.

I don't understand what amma means by the movement because it appears to move like any machine quilting frame and Stitch in the Ditch is not something you normally do on the frame unless you've got the ruler base, channel locks, stitch regulator and special ruler for stitch in the ditch work which is not something you would be doing as a newbie anyway. Those are some of the bells & whistles on the more advanced (read much more expensive) setups.
:thumbup: Good point about the 8' frame --- not likely that I will make a queen size quilt

Here's price and pix w/Juki TL98Q
http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/br...l98q-combo.php

And priced w/out machine and shown without rails
http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/brad-ultraq.php

Thanks for your comments ... I will continue to give this some thought
No. It is not worth $1,000 if you compare it to other $1,000 setups. My B-Line Studio is much more adaptable and my ProFlex is much sturdier & adaptable. A Hinterberg Stretch would also be a better deal. I should point out though that you have to buy the poles separately for the ProFlex & Hinterberg frames but they are cheap & easy to find.

I also wonder about the strength (rigidity) of the poles on this setup. If setup at the 8' length with a flannel or denim quilt, the poles might bow. I had to put EMT conduit over my takeup roller pole on the B-Line and many other frames recommend that also on the wider setups.