View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 07:44 PM
Jim's Gem

I am trying so hard to get a couple of Downy quilts done and out the door.
They like the binding to be machine sewn and recommend using the backing to bring around and bind with.
I can't do this!!!!!
The first one, I was so careful when squaring up the quilt but ended cutting the binding part of the back on the last little cut. So I trimmed it all up, cut binding strips, adding more fabric from my stash and then sewed them on. I kept telling myself to sew it on the back first then turn to the front to sew down. Of course I attached it to the front, figured out I blew it after sewing about 15". I finished off as it was then pressed and turned toward the back, pinned the whole blasted thing and used a decorative stitch from the front to sew down. Looks fine but now how I wanted to do it.
Now, the second one, I was extremely careful squaring up the quilt and not cutting the back. I even taped the back away from the edges. I was just going back around to trim the backing to an inch larger than the rest, got to the last corner and trimmed it even with the quilt!!!!~! I am so mad at myself. I think I am going to try and do the backing/bind on 3/4 of the quilt and then just cut some binding strips for the top (which is the side I screwed up on))

How on earth do you do this type of binding without cutting the stupid backing fabric????
I have made so many quilts but have always used a separate binding which I would sew on the front and hand sew on the backing.
All I have to do is relax for one second and I mess the whole thing up!!!!!! This is so frustrating!!!!