View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 02:25 AM
moonrise

Originally Posted by pvquilter
Read this in an article and thought I would share:
Just a few quilting statistics:
*The average age of quilter is 62 years old.
*About 85 percent of quilters have a room dedicated to quilting activities at home.
*On average, a quilter will have $8500.00 worth of tools and supplies for quilting.
*A quilter will also have $3700.00 invested in purchased fabric.

Is this you? I know I fall in that category. Give me your thoughts. :lol: :oops: :roll:
I'm 42, but I've been sewing and quilting ever since I was old enough to pick up a needle and thread. :)

I do have a dedicated room for sewing, plus my quilting frame and Juki are in the bedroom.

Counting the sewing machines and supplies I inherited from my grandmother and great-grandmother, that $8,500 figure is probably a low estimate. Both sewed their entire lives, had multiple machines, and TONS of supplies. My grandmother was well-off, and ... hmmm ... let's just say that she owned no fewer than 92 crochet hooks alone, if that gives an idea as to her "collection" of STUFF. Thousands and thousands of buttons. Hundreds of spools of thread. There is literally enough stuff to stock a store. :shock: Nobody else in the family sews, so guess who took all that stuff home! :mrgreen: (I'd give it all back if I could have my Granny back again, though. I miss her SO much. She passed away earlier this year at the age of 88. :cry: )

I don't have THAT much fabric. Maybe around $1,500 to $2,000-worth, on-hand. (Don't tell Hubby! LOL!) Now, if you count ALL the fabric I've ever purchased, oh yeah, I'm OVER, easily! :lol: