Old 06-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Marcella

Originally Posted by jessiesmom
Marcella, I am so astonished with your star, I have tried forever to be able to do stars like that, haven't been successful yet. If you have a secret about them, please let us know.

Anyway, your blocks are perfect and beautiful. Mary
Hi, Mary, This is a late answer, because I was out running around with Yvonne who was visiting when I posted that block. I thank you! and also Ceannastahr & SandraJennings, and AnnM, for the nice comments. I am beaming all over the place here!

The answer to your question is that I did paper piece the four quarters of the star (leaving out a couple of pieces to make it more of a "Christmas star".)

What I know about paper piecing (after I make the traditional mistakes each time whilst re-training after coffee-break) is to remember to put the fabrics right sides together, just as in regular sewing. And I fold the pattern back each time along the seam line to be sure there is enough of the next fabric under it to cover the next piece. And after I stitch it, I iron the seam allowance to "set" it and then iron the new piece back over the seam allowance with each addition. It's slow, so I speed things up by making at least two parts at a time, so I can leave one under the presser foot while I press the other.

I like paperpiecing because it ensures that 1/4-inch seam allowance is accurate (and if it is not I will trim the seam allowance after it is sewn & before I iron it!) Anyhow, it makes the block come out the correct size every time, which is a boon & makes me think it is worth the trouble.

I apologize for my tardiness here. Summer has arrived in Seattle & the garden calls! ta-ta for now (ttfn!)