View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 06:51 AM
ksea

Originally Posted by Virginia Smith
I live near Bentonville, Arkansas which is the corporate headquarters of Walmart. Yesterday, I was in a local store that carries fabric and spoke with one of the store managers. I asked him to please support fabric departments in the stores. Having worked at the corporate office several years ago in the architecture department, I have some understanding of purchasing logic. As we know, building costs are computed on a square foot basis. Walmart is no different. The cost of the building is compared to the square foot sales of the department. The GOOD NEWS is that he said that they are putting fabric into every "from the ground up" store due to customer demand. I personally know that store planners are not some obscure group in an ivory tower. They are local neighbors who do the best job they can with the stats in front of them.

But this is our chance. If we want to see fabric there, we need to support it. Call 1-800-walmart, go to walmart.com and say that we want it. Point out that no one goes in and just buys fabric but that every fabric purchase is usually accompanied by grocery and other purchases that catch our attention on the endcaps or Action Alley. (shelves at end of aisle and big center walkways geared for impulse shopping) These calls are answered by real people and sorted into categories and compiled for senior management. I did a temp job a couple years later in that dept. Not that I would ever want to do that again! It was really hectic. Let's use our forums to be proactive. I told the manager that I had just seen batik in Hancocks for 12.99 a yard, and we discussed how many people depend on Walmart's prices which he said would have been about 4.99. They are in a position to get it for a lot less. Maybe it is not the fabric we use for the heirloom masterpieces, and it may come prepackaged, but it sure works for all those wonderful baby blankies and everyday quilting. And, it never hurts to discuss this with your local store manager. It doesn't do much good to complain to each other, but together we can be a strong enough voice to accomplish the changes we want.,.;;
I just emailed corporate I really hope if enough of us do that it will help bring fabric back to all walmarts