View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 03:55 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

the fact that they pay so much to live there does mean they do not have extra for items such as these...those places tend to take pretty much everything you have, leaving you with maybe enough for a hair appointment every couple weeks and maybe a birthday card for a grandchild. i worked for years in what was considered a very up-scale nice long term assisted living place. the residents may have seemed to outsiders to have unlimited funds but it really does not work that way. their money is set up to be able to sustain them for (as long as it takes) but they have very limited availability of any extra funds. it is assumed that their needs are being provided and they do not need extra cash. they 'choose' to give up alot in order to finish their time in a nice place.
so, please do not assume because it is a nice place that they will be able to afford what you are selling.
(maybe) some of the residents have family who visits who would pay a bit more but i have found that is not so common either...families tend to have the mind set...why pay so much for something like that, they will only use it for a short time then they will be gone..it is sad, but .... reality often is

Originally Posted by JanetM
Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
Do you have an outlet? I made these for craft fairs and I wasn't able to sell but one or two and I live near an 'old fart' community with lots of nursing homes and assisted living places.

As far as the fabric goes, try the discounted area of your LQS. Mine has great fabric on for 4 bucks a yard, but it is lines that are several years old.
I do have a potential market. There is a very large (private pay) assisted care/Alzheimer's care retirement community near my home. The residents pay $5000+ per month to live there, so they are not living with a very small budget.

I wish one of my LQS's had "older" fabric for sale. One of the LQS's I go to has some of the same fabric I bought 3 years ago, but she NEVER has anything on sale. :cry: