Thread: joannes again
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 10:26 AM
virtualbernie

Originally Posted by ClairVoyantQuilter
Yes . . .though I think they've been on this trend for awhile. They really used to be a sewing only store . . .now it's mostly crafts, etc with fabric thrown in almost as an afterthought.

There must be some sort of consumer surveys that reflect fewer people making those types of purchases so they're moving in another direction. But really . . .I think those of us who DO sew would purchase more from them if they carried higher quality fabrics. Even when my children were young and I did much more garment sewing . . .it was next to impossible to find good quality fabrics for garments. I relied heavily on a clearing house for a local children's garment factory for most of my fabrics. There was no way I could find those types of fabrics at JoAnns.

Incidently . . .JoAnn's USED to be called ClothWorld before changing their name. There's a reason that name was changed . . .to take the emphasis off sewing supplies . . .
I think that the quality of fabric has a lot to do with sales in JoAnns and Walmart. When I go to Walmart (and sometimes at JoAnn's now) nice, good looking, quality fabric is more of a surprise than the norm. If they want me to spend my money/gas then I need some incentive. Don't get me wrong, I do go to Walmart and JoAnn's but it seems lately that my choices have narrowed.