View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 10:36 AM
wordpaintervs

Originally Posted by wordpaintervs
Originally Posted by wordpaintervs
A seamstress I am not. I took a piece of paper that was 8.5 inches by 11 inches long (2 side by side...taped together) I drew a head, neck, arms and short body and cut out two of them. (The body is all one size) (Now I use wax paper) I sew leaving 'turning room' and stuff.

I lay the doll on the floor with a length of wax paper and made a rectangle 3 times the width of the arms for a skirt. I made a t-shirt top by drawing around the pattern from waist to neck, leaving seam room. I sewed the skirt seam, gathered the top, joined it to the top and added the trims. I did a simple embroidered face useing all 6 strands of embroidery.

Not to hard, once you get the idea. I am glad you liked the doll. The hat has to be made much larger (Large circle) add a trim around the edges, gather to fit the head, and sew it to the head. My heart goes out to those getting the dolls, as I can visualize the conversations the girl and doll may share, when they are alone. Perhaps they laugh, or perhaps sometimes they cry together. At any rate, they can be sterilized and the child can have them as long as they wish, whatever the situation. Thank you for your words.

Vickey S.
Sorry, meant to say, I took the half doll pattern and cut it out on the 'folded line' so I had one side of a 'whole doll' pattern. After I stuffed the doll, I embroidered the faces, and always made the dress before putting on the hat. Sometimes, I hand gather the top of the dress to make it fit better. I just adapt and do what I think needs doing.
AFTER the two dress's are made, stitch the two skirts together so they 'turn as one whole skirt'.