View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 08:46 AM
nana2

It is not often that I remember my age and that I am many times older than the people around me, but there are times when I am reminded that I have experienced "earlier times" when our country was not as affluent as now. Using fabric from out grown or out dated clothing for quilts is a very responsible way to make good use of our resources. Today I believe we call it recycling or "green". As a child I wore dresses made from feed sacks and when they were outgrown they were passed down to a sibbling or a cousin. If they were worn they were torn into pieces to be used for cleaning rags or a rag mop. Sometimes they ended up in a braided rug. Every scrap of fabric left from making clothing was saved for a quilt. Of course all buttons, trims, zippers, etc. were removed and saved for future use. On rare occassions my mother or grandmother would order fabric from Sears. I still have a "button jar" for buttons that are removed from old clothing or buttons that come off in the washer, and I am making a crazy patch from silk blouses that I have out grown. (Perhaps too much time sitting at the sewing machine or computer) We should never feel bad about being thrifty. Some very beautiful quilts have been made by combining different textures of fabrics. "Scrappy quilts" can be "pulled together" by using matching sashing and borders. My granddaughter has a quilt made from scraps (mostly bright colors) with very dark green shashing which I thought added continuity to the quilt as a whole giving it a nice over all appearance. In my opinion, there is more enjoyment in seeing someone's creativity using items on hand other than the "store bought" look of all the latest and greatest new release fabrics; but don't get me wrong, there are BEAUTIFUL fabrics that come on the market all of the time. Sometimes some of those keep calling my name until I am at the counter getting a couple of yards or so. It is great that there are quilters on this site who are creative and want to work "outside" the box.