Old 07-17-2008, 10:55 AM
JoanneS

Every time someone says they use starch, I remember hearing somewhere (Simply Quilts?) that you have to remember to wash it out later, because bugs eat it and the fabric its on! I prefer to use sizing, because bugs don't eat it.

Paper piecing is much easier if you don't sew through the paper. Use freezer paper as your foundation, with the sticky side toward the fabric, and the design on the back, because you iron the pieces to it as you sew. Before you start sewing, take the time to sew with an unthread needle on every design line. Then fold on every line before you start using the foundation. Iron piece #1 to the paper. Place piece #2 in the usual way. Now, fold back the paper on the seam line and sew, NOT on the paper. Trim the seam to 1/4 inch. Now unfold the paper, and iron piece # 2 over it. Proceed with the rest of the pieces. The freezer paper holds the pieces in place. If they slip a little, use pins in the finished areas. I know it sounds confusing, but try it, and I think you'll like it. Best of all, no little pieces of paper to pull out with tweezers.

I wish I could remember who showed this method on Simply Quilts Maybe one of you remembers, so we can give the proper attribution, because I'm not the one who thought it up! :)