View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 06:49 PM
skydiver70

My mother always used a frame like this. It hung from the ceiling in the living room or big room. There were large hooks (don't know what they were called) that screwed into the ceiling and strong string was run thru the steeple type hook and tied. Then the string was tied to each corner of the frame where the pieces crossed and were clamped tight. Then when lowered, the string was unwound, then wrapped back around the corner of the frame when thru for the day. I have it now as Mom passed away last year. Mom always put a sheet over the quilt when thru quilting for the day so dust would not get on the quilt. She would quilt all the way from one end to the other as far as she could reach and then unclamp the two corners, roll the quilt til she could reach another section.

Not sure if this is explained very clearly. It's hard to explain, but I can close my eyes and see how she did it. We tied a lot of quilts on this, too.

Also, we basted the top, batting and backing of many quilts together, that my sister-in-law's mother would then quilt on her lap. The basting kept the layers from shifting.