View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 08:42 AM
eparys

Hi badjujumama

I actually purchased this machine used for a class machine. I works nicely - but I will be honest with you that I am nor sure that I would want to sew an entire quilt on it. The stitches are fine - but the throat is small. It is also very light which is why I bought it for classes.

If you plan on doing lots of sewing, look in the used market - you may find a gently used one on Craigslist, a dealer, newspaper or even ask for one on Freecycle (nothing ventured nothing gained!). Estate sales are great as well. On older machine in a cabinet around here goes for about $75 and is considerably more substantial than the Brother.

Another option is to call some large supplier such as All Brands (I would call several) and just ask questions. Tell them your max to spend and what type of sewing you want to do and see if they have any recommendations. They may have trades ins, factory services or specials that might interest you. I did this a lot before I bought my longarm. It is amazing what you learn this way.