View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 01:11 PM
Vanuatu Jill

I do allot of applique and use freezer paper and quilter's plastic template sheets. However, I also have used any cardboard at hand. I also have re-used plastic templates by just re-cutting them to another shape. I have a plastic sandwich baggie (zip lock) of just various sizes of leaves which I can re-use for different quilts as well as a baggie for circles, various animals, and geometric shapes which I don't re-cut, just re-use as-is. My first quilt was done with cardboard I got from a friend's store-she saved the cardboard that new shirts are wrapped around. I still have those pieces! Joann's also uses cardboard to wrap FQ's around, so I save those. There are endless possibilities of free things to use. IF using cardboard, be careful to keep checking it's accuracy, as continually tracing around a shape can altar it slightly. I usually cut a few of the same size and shape if the pattern calls for many of the same piece and just toss the worn one. Paper juice cartons, old manilla file folders, in fact, any plastic or cardboard packaging can be used. I am always thinking of ways to re-use stuff instead of just tossing it out.