View Single Post
Old 06-09-2007, 11:10 AM
vicki reno

Thanks everyone for the kind words. For the church panel on the big quilt I took a picture to Kinko's and had it blown it to be 36x 48. I had 2 copies, one I cut up and used for pattern pieces and the other I used as a placement guide one I was ready to fuse everything into place. I used wonder under and then top stitched it all into place. The other stuff (bushes) I jsut kind of made up. I tried out a lot of stitches on the sewing machine when I was doing the top stitching on them. The tree are part fabric and part embroidery thread and part yarn. The fabric was fused in place. For the other parts, I used fabric glue to position them. Once the glue was dried, I used a blind hem stitch on the machine with invisible thread to hold them in place. We had pictures to go by for everything and everybody else took a block or two to work on. One lady did all the embroidery in the border on her machine. I think that was the hardest part, to get all the spacing just right and for it to come out so good. We added the border all around the center panel that wasn't in the original design and we were really worried about the border fitting. WE had less than a half inch to spare when we got it all sewn together. Some greater power was guiding our hands for sure! It goes to the quilter next week and will hang in the church in time for the Fest of Saint Francis of Assisi in October. I'll post pictures of it quilted and in the church at that time. It took us 9 months to get this far!