View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 06:48 AM
Julianna

Back in the 1980's we were living in Wisconsin. I was the Assistant Manager of a JoAnns Fabrics. I will never forget the day we unloaded a gazillion boxes of summer lawn and pool toys! We had squirt guns, ring toss games, inflatable beach balls, etc. Why we asked? To keep up with the times we were told. Anyway we only had so much room so you can imagine what got shifted to the back of the store and piled up to be impossible to sort and choose. Our customers were unhappy and said if they wanted to buy toys they would go to a toy store and in a fabric store they wanted fabric! Luckily the 'great idea" didn't work and we went back to selling fabric until winter when we had another huge shipment of Christmas lights and decorations. By spring we had a directive to move the entire store around. We put the notions where the flannels were, quilting took over the former upholstery spot, etc. This was to encourage shoppers to browse and buy more. What it did was to infuriate our customers and they went across town to Hancock and Walmart. Come Autumn, I left and went back to teaching Chemistry! Sometimes change is good, sometimes not.