Thread: Bleeding
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2007, 01:32 PM
grandma

Well, my friends, I have a problem. :( I have made four rag quilts for four graduating seniors. They turned out just fine using the "turning twenties" pattern. Two of them have red flannel in them. I washed one, (red, white, and blue) and put in some stuff called Retayne that I thought was suppose to set the colors. Well, I guess it did but I now have a red, magenta and blue quilt. I'm not sure what to do. I washed it again and again but it is still magenta. I will probably try to cut out the white (magenta) material and try to replace it and if that doesn't work, make another quilt. Anyway, my problem : The other quilt with red flannel I still need to wash. Is there anything I can put in the water that will stop the red from bleeding. This quilt is red and black, so maybe I'll be OK but I'm afraid to take the chance. Somewhere I remember you can put white vinegar in. Does that help any? Re-reading the directions on the bottle of Retayne, I see that you are suppose to wash the fabric in the Retayne before you put it in the quilt but -- mine is already in. Any great advice would be very helpful as I am one sad lady.