View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Tiffany

Originally Posted by Ritas Relics
You are right I lurk.I am not very good and am trying so hard to figure out how to even use the space in my spare room for sewing. I have a peice of plywood on the bed with my cutting board on top of it. It looks pitiful and is back breaking to work on.Then I am trying to figure out how to sort the material. So far cottons on one spot, satins in one spot, polyester in one spot etc. I think I need shelves because I can`t get rid of the bed. I inherited a lot of 4 1/2 in square polyester pieces so my first project is a lap quilt to donate to my local dialysis unit, they are always cold.Should I use muslin backing ? I don`t know.I made a table runner with the local home bureau but have to line things up so much more still. I am a rookie at 60 years old. It is not like following a dress pattern.
You're right, it is very different from following a dress pattern. How did your lap quilt turn out? Did you use muslin for the backing? By the way, muslin is perfectly fine for backings. It used to be the standard but today many people use fancy patterned fabric on the back or even make pieced backings, depending on what the quilt will be used for. A lot of times babies and special needs people will get minky or fleece on the back of a quilt. Actually, I love the feel of minke and am going to use it on a lap quilt I make for myself, once I get around to actually making myself a quilt.