Old 08-01-2010, 08:21 PM
husband-of-a-quilter

Hi! Yes I am a husband of a quilter. We are a special breed for sure. The children are out on their own now so our son’s room is the sewing room, our dining room is now full of sewing stuff including a Juki on a New Joy frame, our living room has a cutting table in it and there is material stuffed everywhere. We travel a lot and somehow manage to find quilt shops in the most obscure places and of course we have to stop, even if it is 40 miles off the beaten path. There is just no escape, they seem to be everywhere. I have been spotted waiting in line at our local Bernina store before they open to catch the early bird specials. Even our local JoAnns staff knows my name!! What I find fascinating is that her sewing machines cost more than the cars we drive. And when I take a day off from work the staff simply say, “Another quilt show huh.” Truth be known I would have it no other way, but don’t tell her that. Since my wife joined this board I have been lurking and find it quite fascinating. It is a great cross section to the everyday life from people throughout the world. You all celebrate the happy times and you are all there to support each other during the rough times. And you don’t seem to care who they are or where they are from. You just all share the same passion, quilting!! I joined because I find sewing machines fascinating so I started collecting them, especially the mid sixties to early seventies Japanese machines. I have been reading the threads on old sewing machines with great interest. I also enjoy the great pictures of the quilts you make (by the way I like bright colors especially yellow). I do not quilt, yet, but who knows I just might. There really is a wealth of information here and you all are so willing to share it. Thank you.