Thread: Bleeding
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2007, 03:31 PM
thimblebug6000

Hi there, I've been reading this site for a few days, as it was posted on the kayewood site as a link. I hope you don't mind me jumping in with my suggestion. I wash any quilt that has strong colours in it, with a product called Colour Catcher from OxiClean - it's a little sheet sort of like those dryer sheets. It really works, however I also prewash all my fabrics before I sew with them. At the moment I have a small red square of fabric "bleeding" in the sink in HOT water....if it doesn't quit bleeding, I don't use it. Alot of quilters prefer to use unwashed fabrics, but after a couple nightmares I prefer to be safe than sorry. As far as getting rid of the red that has bled into the white, if you use vinegar I think it might set it rather than help get rid of it. I did have a navy bleed into a white on one quilt, I just kept washing & washing it in the bathtub, and after about 6 times, you have to look very carefully to see any trace of the navy in the white. I hope you can keep washing your quilt but not putting it into any heat source, until most of the excess dye is removed from the white.