View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 06:20 AM
oldhag

I have sewed clothing for a very long time. Learning from Home Ec class way back in the good ol' days.I made an odd quilt but never really took to it when my kids were little,...probably too busy working and raising a family. My job as a nurse in a very small rural hospital is very stressful in ways that are different from a larger hospital. Every person that comes in has some connection to us. We are either related or a friend or mom's friend...I've joked with my DH about it saying "I've seen everyone in this town naked". That being said I was having a particularly hard time with a couple of rather tragic incidents at work and had great trouble disconnecting my brain and refocusing on my life rather than others. I was doing busy work to keep my mind off of the sadness and tragedy around me and cleaning out a closet jammed full of odds and ends and found a whole bunch of blue jeans. Not one to throw anything out I started cutting them up into squares and... you guessed it....I made a quilt. I found that while i was doing it I could put my life back into perspective and it was calming. I now quilt as I HAVE to, It makes sense when too many things in life do not.From tears I make flowers.