View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 07:25 AM
Pat and pups

I learned to sew when I took Home Ec since my mother couldn't even sew on a button. I loved sewing and begged for a sewing machine. I was given an old machine with a long bobbin and a rickety old card table to put it on. My mother knew me too well and was sure this would be like my other plans--soon forgotten. Instead I made school clothes that took me through high school and college. I sewed lots of really cute clothes for my daughter after she was born. I never made a quilt, though.

When my daughter was herself pregnant, we decided to make a baby quilt. Our biggest problem was 1/4 inch seams. We didn't agree on what 1/4 inch was so nothing matched up. We spent a lot of time with seam rippers. I swore I'd never make another quilt, and I didn't for years. I did macrame, knitting, crochet, needlepoint, counted cross stitch and other crafty things. Then I met another puppy raiser who showed me all the quilts she had made. I figured if she could, so could I. That was about 10 years ago, and I'm hooked.