Thread: WalMart
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2007, 12:52 AM
plfreitag

Hi:

From what I've heard, the trend is to make WalMart more like Target and other upscale and trendy stores in order to appeal to more people. I think they forget that some of us don't want that. The large-sized women's department in our store has been cut in half, though the population out here certainly hasn't changed in size. It's been taken over by smaller and more expensive clothing that people in a rural community don't really wear on a regular basis. I can't get the jeans I used to...they've been totally eliminated...but in the juniors department there are more styles than you can shake a stick at.

They downsized our fabric department, and we were told a few weeks ago by one of the managers working there that when they remodel in a couple years we'll be going to the new format where there are a few prepackaged fabrics in specified lengths and the rest will be "celebration supplies." We live in a rural area and the closest fabric that sells anything that costs less than quilt-shop fabric is almost an hour away. There are lots of little old ladies out here who shouldn't even be driving to WalMart, much less trying to tackle the traffic in St. Peters or St. Louis. Some of them are driving 40 minutes from the next closest store that lost its fabric department to get to ours.

The decisions are being made by people who are considering the almightly dollar as the bottom line and forgetting that the people who can afford to shop at these stores aren't always in search of upscale and trendy, but rather practical and inexpensive so they can make the most of each hard-earned dollar.

I've heard from many people out here that Sam Walton would be turning over in his grave if he saw what was happening to the store he started so everyone could get what they needed at a decent price.

I've signed the petition and written the company and will write them again.

Trisha in MO