Old 08-02-2010, 05:36 PM
spinnergs

Originally Posted by hilda Vest
A work of art!! I'd love to learn to paint some of my quilts. I have lots of paints, but have been afraid to try. Are there special techniques, or does one just "Do It?" It's beautiful.
Be sure you wash your fabric and dont use fabric softener. You can use any paint but paint made for fabric gives you a softer hand when finished. (which is good if the quilt will be used) You should treat the fabric if you use fabric dyes as the tut on Dharma Trading site. I like to paint on wet fabric for most of my work. If you are not going to wash the project, you can use a good watercolor paint. I have tried most paints on the cheaper end of the scale with good results. For faces, I use a picture printed to the scale I want then encase it in a clean baggie. I lay the fabric over the baggie leaving enought fabric to cover the neck etc. Place this over my light box and start painting. Try eveything. No one makes a masterpiece the first time they try, or in my case fourth or fifth! Lots of free painting lessons online, try youtube.