View Single Post
Old 07-19-2008, 02:29 PM
mpeters1200

Here is what I have gotten out of the instructions and the answers given me here and when I called the shop. Now, I have to make these exact units twice. This time with fabrics A & C, then again with fabrics B & D. Here's what I have so far.

First, I had to cut 20 squares out of the light blue that were 6 1/4" sq. Then, I put them on my mat and used my ruler and cut them diagonally TWICE making a total of 80 quarter square triangles or QST. This pic is supposed to show you that I cut on both diagonals at the line, but it's not really clear. Just pretend then.

Then, I had to cut 40 3 3/8" squares and cut those on the diagonal ONCE making 80 half square triangles or HST. Here you can see the triangles hanging out on the diagonal line after I finished cutting. Again, this didn't turn out like I wanted it to either, so just pretend you can see the individual triangles.

Here is where it gets a bit tricky. I did NOT press the QST in half. What I did was take the right side that I was going to sew the HST's to and pressed that in half. Then I pressed all the HSTs in half and they looked like this. Notice the lighter fabric has a big triangle and then a smaller, pressed piece. Also the light red has 2 size triangles, one unpressed, one pressed.

Then I sewed them all together so I have 80 that look like this.

I called the store and asked for a hint or two dealing with all these triangles. The gal mentioned that they were half geese. I do not have any idea what half geese are, but perhaps she meant the first half of geese would be finished. So I played around with my finished pieces and I THINK they'll eventually look like this. We'll find out with the next clue comes out next weekend.