View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 05:22 AM
dgmoby

Originally Posted by vickig626
Originally Posted by pam1966
Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by knlsmith
I don't know about patterns like that from magazines. All I know for sure is that each pattern has a copyright of some type, Usually printed on the back or on their website, and the ones that i use you need permission to sell items made from the pattern.

I see other people selling places without paying for the right to do so like I did.
You actually don't need permission to sell things made from any pattern. No matter what the designers think or try to tell you.
What about when it says on the pattern itself that you can't? I'm really curious about this.
I've run into this as well. The pattern actually says it's only for personal use and items made from pattern can't be sold, which I think is unfair. I don't buy these patterns if they say that.

My quilt instructor said that if a pattern is modified 40%, you can call it your own and sell it as your own and the items made.
Ask Paula Needlstorm (sp?) and Hilton Hotels. I believe this may have went to the Supreme Court, whereby they ruled in Paula's favor. Hilton said they had changed the pattern by at least 50%...but they hadn't (by law). And if they did, it apparently wasn't significant enough changes to matter. (They put their floor tiles in many hotels that was based on her quilting pattern shown in Houston.)

Don't believe everything you read on the internet, or hear, to be the truth. Most of it has a grain of truth, but the copyright laws are so extensive and confusing that even some attorney's don't understand them fully - let alone us lay people. And it doesn't matter what we personally believe, it only matters what the laws say. Just follow whatever is written on the pattern, don't buy it if you don't agree, or contact the designer. If you disagree with whatever they say, find another pattern! It's cheaper than loosing a lawsuit...and several designers are now suing for copyright infringement (not for 1 quilt, of course, but for multiple). Just the same rights as Disney - and you'd better not let them see you selling their designs on anything!