Old 07-19-2008, 08:49 PM
Cordelia

Hi, everyone. It's like 12:30 here EST. I'm sorry I'm on so late.

Don't anyone feel pressured. I'll post the clues and you can all watch. It's quite an investment.

A couple of you are wondering about the borders.

First, the green is used in the quilt and for the border.

To be honest, because I enlarged this to a lap quilt size, I haven't done it and am doing it ahead of you all so if there's a glitch, I'll catch it first.

For both the winter version and the traditional version, the border alone is calculated at 1 1/2 yards.

So, the three yards difference can be made up in your stash. And then there's the applique piece. I would recommend forest greens, pine greens, textured greens, no aqua, no emerald green for it to look right. It doesn't have to be all the same green fabric either. You can use different greens.

The border will look best if it's in the same "family" of green used in the quilt.

To make it look Christmasy, paint on glitter paint you get in the craft store.

The same with the winter version. The winter version uses more of the blue in the quilt. The four yards difference in that version can be made up with whatever blue fabrics you have. For it to look right, I'd stay away from blue green, turquoise, or purple tones. Medium to dark blues would be the best choice. Textured and blue on blue batiks would be outstanding. I wouldn't use a blue print unless it was all blue.

The blue fabrics in this quilt will look best if they're in the same family of blue as the border.