View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 12:28 PM
raptureready

Originally Posted by gollytwo
Originally Posted by ngabrielle
I just read a book on this topic (sorry can't remember the title, I borrowed it from the local Library). One thing they say is true is that the slaves did sew quilts. I was touched by the stories, the blocks are so representative of the tales. Have fun!

P.S. Would love to see pics.
There's a very famous, absolutely magnificent, slave quilt. If I can find a picture on line I'll post it. I have the magazine article w/picture but cannot figure out how to scan into computer.
Many of the quilts made by Southern slaves were made for the plantation mistresses .

And there's a marked difference between what was made for the mistress and what was made for use by the slaves. Slave quilts were (usually) far less complicated and sometimes just large pieces of fabric sewn together--not as squared up. Perhaps because if they's been considered pretty at the time the slave wouldn't have been allowed to keep them. Or perhaps they weren't allowed to used "fancy" patterns. Or maybe it was just a matter of not having much time of their own. But these quilts, in their own way, are beautiful even with uneven borders, plainer fabrics, strange color combinations, etc.