View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 04:00 PM
weezie

I've sewn for over 50 years, but really got interested in making more professional looking clothing in the early 1980's. My wardrobe (mainly for my secretarial job) was very sparse. I wanted to make clothes to wear to the office that did not look dorky & home made so I started watching all the sewing programs on t.v. that I could find to watch. As well as learning loads of helpful tips, I learned what notions would be helpful and how to best use them. Somehow watching the sewing shows (mainly Sewing With Nancy) branched out to include quilting shows. There were a lot of excellent quilting shows on t.v. at that time (1980's & '90's). Now I don't have access to any in this viewing area.

In addition to making clothing, I made a lot of dolls. When I quit working in the mid-90's, I quit making clothing, continued to make dolls and started to make quilts. The quilt making has since shoved the doll making totally out of the picture. As it is, I need to live to be about 150 years old (and be active and creative) to make all the quilts I want to make.

P.S.: I'm not sure I'm getting any better at this hobby. Each quilt top I make is quite different from any others I've done, so creates a whole new playing field and new frustrations.