View Single Post
Old 06-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Boo

I always believed a quilt to be three layers, front, back and center. A few years back I went to the Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum in Golden, CO for an exhibit of award winning quilts. Imagine my shock to see an award winning professional quilt made from organza and mesh! After that experience, I must admit my feelings are not changed, but realize that quilts as art objects are more broadly defined. After making quilts for over 25 years, I have never seen anyone arrested by the Quilt Police. Yes, there are folks who hold strong in their opinions and are not afraid to share them, but, let's be honest here, who really are the quilt police? Does anyone know who hired them? Do they carry badges?, hancuffs?, a seam ripper?
Quilts began out of the necessity to keep warm and have evolved. Victorian times brought us the crazypatch, a way to showcase fabrics and hand stitching. They didn't contain batting, yet were treasured and valued by all who made them. Remember that a blouse is still a blouse without pintucks and insertion lace. Whether a quilt is a quilt to keep us warm, cover our beds, decorate our walls or to be made out of organza and mesh as an art object, a quilt is what WE say it is.