Old 08-04-2010, 06:15 AM
Bottle Blonde

VICTORY GOES TO THE DETERMINED WOMAN!!!!

I bought a treadle machine a few months ago and with help from the QB members I was able to identify it as a National Vindex B machine - era late 1800's to early 1900's. This machine has the bullet shaped bobbin case - aka - vibrating shuttle. I was very lucky this machine has the original instruction book along with directions for using the attachments and an illustrated parts and price list.

I took it apart and cleaned it up shortly after getting it, but we moved in April and other things took my time and attention. Well, yesterday I decided to finish what I had started. I found help online and was able to put the belt on by myself. Then I practiced for what seemed like forever to wind a bobbin properly. I then practiced the treadle action, which is difficult for a clumsy person like me - pinched my bare toes a couple of times before I got smart enough to put on shoes and put both feet on the treadle! Getting the proper tension was a test of my patience - decided to sleep on it after struggling with it for 2 hours - and this morning I finally got it right.

I had to improvise a few things - like using card stock to make a throat plate - the original went missing - I hope it is around here somewhere. I used a paper clip to replace the missing thread guide near the needle and my bobbin winder is missing a small piece and I have to use my hand to guide the winding arm.

I know the treadle machines don't rock everyone's world, but I like it and plan to use it. I am proud to have been able to make this machine function again! Now I just need to practice that treadle action - it's harder than I thought it would be. LOL

Thanks for letting me brag to you all ---- my husband gets a kick out of me, but doesn't really understand my excitement. He looks at me with his eyes glazed over --- kinda like I look at him when he replaces the brakes on the truck and then explains the whole procedure to me!