View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 11:04 AM
lab fairy

Originally Posted by JJs
It's my understanding that that kind of stuff is TOTALLY against the law. It must be so disgusting to have somebody make snap judgments like that - do you have to carry your degrees with you along with your resume?? What a jerk.....

Some days I feel like I have to carry my medical records with me.. LOL...

cheer up - it could be worse - you could be related to that guy....

I often have to supply my diplomas, transcripts and licenses when I am asked for my resume. As a military brat, we always hand carried our medical records from duty station to duty station (I still have complete sets of personal records, it is a prudent thing to have).

I think perspective is everything. It is kind of like the first time I dealt with a car dealorship and was called "little lady" and was then asked to speak with my husband. I let the "little lady" slide, but the "hon" did it. So I told the "little man", that's what I called him, that my husband didn't make these sort of decisions and he was dealing with ME. You could see the sick look on his face. He knew the witch had ridden in on her broom. I copied the VIN from the vehicle I was interested in, went to another dealership, and bought the exact one from another person. Then went back and picked it up. That man never called me "hon" again and treated me like I had an IQ of a sucker.

Personally, the loss of the realtor's income is the ultimate price (letting the company KNOW why he's losing your patronage is important or he will just continue doing it). Proving anything else is really hard. During our last move, we provided a list of must haves to our realtor and narrowed the list from there. But we ultimately did the basic research and gave the realtor the search area. Which is a kind of profiling because we looked at traffic patterns, population density, schools, medical facilities, etc. Maybe that doesn't happen in the NYC area?

There are all sorts of "profiled" neighborhoods in the world. Look at retirement communities. We have some out here that you can't buy into unless you are older than 55 (those are pretty nice). There are also restrictions to having guests with children and how long they are allowed to stay.