View Single Post
Old 12-09-2006, 10:11 AM
Betty

Hi Mi, I have not had any experience with this but can tell you of a story that was in our local paper about a year ago that I just love & have saved. Seems this fella up in his 70's wanted a king size quilt, but what he wanted was $500 and up so he could not afford the price of having one made.He picked up 2 boxes of material at a flea market for $5, to cut into strips,bought filling and cloth for the front and back sheets for $27. He had no sewing machine, found a used $300 one for $150 & taught himself to sew. He asked all his friends to save their used dryer sheets for him & very well ironed them till they were perfectly smooth, sewed his little strips onto them till he had 160 rectangles, then sewed the rectangles to a top cover sheet, pinned the rectangle filled top sheet to the filler and backing & tied each of the rectangles in each corner & the middle,then added a border. Experienced quilters told him it would take a year to finish, he worked 7am to 6pm everday. He had a quilter next door he could ask questions if he had a problem. And he finished his 16 ft by 10 ft quilt in about a month. The picture in the newspaper is black & white but it looks like it is very colorful & is a lovely quilt. So I would say dryer sheets work just fine, huh? Plus it has to smell great as an added bonus. 8) Betty