View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 08:23 AM
raptureready

Originally Posted by mlaceruby
It is possible, I have accomplished this by being very diversified!
Also it doesn't happen overnight!
I have had my longarm for 6 years so it is now paid for, as well as my other equipment(machines,cutter etc.)
and you have to build a client base
right now I have a steady flow and can't take on more clients, this is because I want to keep them happy. they know that I will have no more that a month turn around on a top and a 2 month on a commissioned quilt.
I also discovered that to keep my costs down I had to buy wholesale, but the buying minimums are high.
So I started making kits, these I sell at very little over my wholesale cost. I don't make a living with these but they do help get my money back for the overpurchasing to meet my minimums. Some of which are $1000-$2000 per order.
you need to be creative and market yourself and your product!
also keep very good records!
And just so you know, her kits are wonderful!! Good fabric, nicely cut. So if you haven't ordered one you're in for a treat when you do. These aren't like kits that you buy in a store. The pieces in her quilt kits actually fit together and the threads in the fabrics are close together unlike the cheesecloth that comes in a lot of the "store bought" kits.