View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 01:02 PM
AbbyQuilts

Welcome to the template tutorial.

I am going to show you how to make a basic template out of plastic. There are many wonderful ways to make templates including out of paper and freezer paper.
I choose to do it this way because you never know when you are going to need that size template again.

Materials
Template plastic= This can be quilters template plastic, I have heard unused x-rays can work if you have a source for them. I use for right now plastic dividers. In back to school season you can pick up an 8 pack for around $3.50. The main thing is that they are clear

Marker= I like sharpie brand ultra fine point. It must be a fine point or your lines can be to big and cause your template to be the wrong size.

Printed templates on printer paper

Tape= I like Painter's tape that way you can re use it for each page of templates but Scotch or masking will work.

Scissors= Any scissors that you can cut plastic with (Not your fabric scissors)

1/16 hole punch= These are found at Micheal's and Joann’s for around 5$ they make life so much easier.
If you are unable to get them you can punch holes VERY carefully with and awl (found in hubby's tool box) or a streak knife.

This is my first Tutoial so sorry if its confusing :D

1.The Materials
Print out your template pattern on regular copy paper.
2. Tape to a table so it does not slide. Tape the plastic over the template in the right spot. I try to minimize waste so I place the plastic on an edge.
3. Start out by drawing around the outside line

Step 1 Materials
[ATTACH=CONFIG]92179[/ATTACH]

Step 2 Tape to a table
[ATTACH=CONFIG]92180[/ATTACH]

Step 3 drawing around the outside
[ATTACH=CONFIG]92184[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-92174.jpe   attachment-92175.jpe   attachment-92179.jpe