View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Bluelady

Originally Posted by Rainy Day
My boss is going to Hawaii for a conference, and he owes me big time ATM, the conference is on Oahu, any addresses or shops that are cannot miss? - he has promised me some fabric
There are a couple of Fabric Marts in Honolulu. Worth a visit! Most of the Hawaiian fabric is on rolls, instead of bolts, so there are no "permanent" creases running down the middle of the fabric. Lots of beautiful bark cloth and other Hawaiian prints there. I went to the one on Kalakaua Ave. They have a web site, http://fmart.com. Although the web site says the bark cloth is for upholstery or drapes, it will make beautiful quilts. It isn't that heavy, unless you get the heavy upholstery stuff. The bark cloth I bought was under $5 a yard.
The three rows of right to your right as you walk in are the most spectacular, most Hawaiian. All standing upright on rolls, the owner (manager?)constantly rearranging and putting back on the posts. Very helpful man.
If your boss goes to that store, tell him not to bother going upstairs. The bolts up there were nothing special.
Kamaiki Dry Goods was another quilt store I went to in Honolulu. Beautiful store, many many bolts of fabric, but 95 percent is stuff I find at quilt stores here and the prices there were a bit higher than here at a LQS.