View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 08:38 PM
ShellyQ

Probably the worlds best known pattern that EPP is used for would be Grandmothers Flower Garden. Yes that’s right, the ever present hexagon lol. Most of us have or know of someone who has a few of these stashed away some where. So It just wouldn't be right to do a EPP tutorial without covering the Grandmothers Garden pattern :wink:

Making the Grandmother’s Garden Rosette

The Paper Pieces
I have attached a sheet of hexagons for you to print out, please check that these measure 1 1/4” on each side and 2 1/2” from point to point before you use them (See Diagram) If they don’t, buy or make a template that you can use to draw your paper shapes. It’s ok if your template measures a little smaller than this as long as the measurement of each side is equal and the measurement from point to point is double the side measurement. Template can not be any bigger though as your rosette will not fit on a 12” finished block. The paper shapes do not include seam allowances as these are added when you cut your fabrics.

I use ordinary printer paper to make my paper shapes as I find this a good weight. Freezer paper can also be used. I find freezer paper excellent for EPP but don’t use it a lot myself as freezer paper is not as readily available here and a lot more expensive so I tend to save my freezer paper for appliqué work. You can also print directly onto the freezer paper, which is also a big time saver

To make the rosette that I am showing you will need to make 19 paper hexagons.

Cut out your paper shapes as accurately as you can, accuracy with the paper is vital to the success of your block. (Pic 1)

Measurment diagram for hexagons
[ATTACH=CONFIG]49678[/ATTACH]

Pic 1: Cut paper pieces
[ATTACH=CONFIG]55856[/ATTACH]

Hexagon Templates in PDF 2 1/2"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]57560[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-49678.jpe   attachment-55856.jpe  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Attachment-57560.pdf (76.0 KB, 643 views)