View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 05:25 AM
quiltease

The best advice I see is to try them all. I started with the Little Gracie frame and brother machine. I loved it, but it had it's disadvantages..the pantograph did not line up directly with the needle, so everything had to be calculated a bit off. Also, it was new (they have since corrected almost everything in the little gracie 2) so the side tensions had to be put on and taken off every time you rolled the quilt. There was no place for the pantograph (just a hole) and so I had a board I'd put there. It didn't roll all that smoothly, either. And they had a pointer rather than a laser.
BUT I LOVED it!! It was sturdy and I had lots of room to work. It's now set up in the basement waiting for me to get the upgraded parts.
I then got the inspira frame with the pfaff grand quilter. DON'T!!!!!! My poor boyfriend spent hours drilling holes and bracing every thing and it still shakes. I also got the stitch regulator thrown into the deal (they wanted to get rid of the old frames for the new one) and that is AMAZING. I had the speed regulator on my Gracie, but this is far more forgiving and although it doesn't make all the stitches the same size, it's close enough for rock and roll. The reason I hate it, besides the shaking, is that there is only about 3" of work room. Finding 3" pantographs is tough enough, but having to turn your quilt mid way through because you've run out of room stinks. This they have not corrected on the new version.
Given my 'druthers, I'd go with one of the Grace frames. They not only work well, they're actually quite pretty. All wood, which I polyeurathaned before ever putting it together. I found the pfaff to be a bit better than the brother, but I'd give my eye teeth for a mid, or longarm. I'm SO jealous. Maybe when I'm a famous quilter.......
Good luck in whatever you choose, and please let us know what you decide and the outcome. Sorry to be so long winded.
bev. :]